Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a kenmore electric dryer that will not start and run

I have a kenmore electric dryer that will not start and run consistently when the start button is pushed. WHen it dose run it generally soes a good job of drying but on occasion stops early. It works the same on timer drying as on as with the drynes selection. Thevent is clean as is the lint screen. Is this a temperature high limit switch problem or a centifugal swithc problem??
can you get me model#? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

model # XXXXX

Series mk1115223

does this make a buzzing noise when you try to start it sometimes? Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No. If the start switch is held down the dryer will continue to run however when the switch is released the dryer stops.
well that means the run windings in motor are gone.the motor has start windings and once the centifugal switch kicks in it runs off run windings you can try getting centifugal switch and see if that works but most likely you need to replace motor. I'll check for motor for you . Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

How would you go about testing the start windings on the motor?? I have a multi meter to do the testing if I know what terminals to check. Sometimes the motor will run after a few attempts of pushing the start switch.

well I'd have to check that but I'm on the road working and cant do it till later tonight, i'm pretty sure though you have a bad motor. these go allot . Bryan