Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

hotpoint ctx18. frezer works, refrigerator does not work.

hotpoint ctx18. frezer works, refrigerator does not work. motor runs fan works. clean underneath and behind it. whats wrong and how can i fix it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
hi this is Bryan do you see any frost on back panel inside freezer section? look real good behind food and check all the way down. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bryan, I checked for frost on the back panel inside the freezer section. the rear wall on the lower shelf is full of frost. that never happened beforeCustomer
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok sounds like you may have a defrost problem. this will effect ref. section, can you find full model # XXXXX me ? it should be inside ref. section somewhere. or down along botton near the front kickplate grill. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the full model number is XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok let me check that for you thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
in the mean time you should defrost this with a air dryer. you need to remove rear panel in freezer and get all the frost out , when thats done replace panel and plug back in and it will run correctly until we can determine problem .its going to take a while to get back down to temp. so don't panic. I'll be back shortly, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
had a little problem getting the rear of the freezer back off it was frozen on from the inside. the hair drier did the trick. when i got the freezer back off the whole thing was caked in ice. took about an hour to get off all the frost. put everything back together and plugged it in. it started right up. thank you so very much
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Bryan the problem is back. the back wall of the freezer has frost on it again. will take the back of the freezer off agian. but this is only a temperary fix. how do we fix it the right way.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok you probably have either a bad defrost heater , defrost thermostat or bad defrost timer, can you check and get me the full model#? it should be inside ref. on tag.look top bottom and sides. do you have a volt meter? let me know , Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I redid the self deforst way you told me last time. but this time i left the hair blower in longer. thinking maybe the lines (tubing) inside may also be frozen.

In the mean time. the information you just asked for.

Model ctx18Basqrad

serial HL 511025

design presure high side 240 psig

low side 110 psig

115 vac 60 hz

amps 7.0

refrigerant r12 charge 6.0 oz

16205773 p002

listed houise hold refrigerator frezer 182 a

i do not have a volt meter.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok let me check your model # XXXXX'll be back. Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok you have one out of a possible three things that will cause this problem 1 bad defrost timer 2 bad defrost heater 3 defrost thermostat. to be sure though you need someone with a volt meter to test this. my guess is the defrost thermostat, but I cant be sure, its definitely one of these because thats all there is to the defrost system, I'm including link to show you parts , http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SmartSearch.aspx on this site look at parts 311013 timer 880016 thermostat 305175 heater , there really isn't any more I can do until you get a meter to test, please press accept and you can still come back and ask me how to test if you can get someone with a meter. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.