Alan
Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years in the appliance repair field.
11470909

I have a Sears electric dryer model 110.63952101. The dryer

I have a Sears electric dryer model 110.63952101. The dryer runs and the drum tumbles, but there is no heat. How do I test the temp selecter switch, heater relay, or heater element to determine which component is bad?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Lets start from the top. First thing to check is the circuit breaker, It can have half of it blow and still run but not heat. Next check where the cord hooks up to the dryer and make sure that one of the wires did not burn off. Then you can check the heater element, pull it out and make sure the coils are not broken anywhere. If you have a meter you can check it for continuity. Check that stuff and report back to me and we can go from there.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where is the circuit breaker?
Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.
Your home circuit breaker is the one I am talking about.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no, that's good, I was thinking that there was one on the dryer. I will check the element.

Could it also be the thermostat, or the moisture sensors in the drum?

Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.

It could be those too. I am just having you check the things in order of the most likely things and easy things to check.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK,

I will check the element when I get home. I will report back to you when I do.

Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.

Make sure you check where the cord hooks up.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I checked the element, and it was open. I found a new one locally, and replaced it, the cord is good at the connections, and the dryer still doesn't heat. I found a technicians diagnostic sheet in the control panel when I took the cover off and tested the High Limit Thermostat, the Thermal fuse, Thermistor, and Thermal cut-off- They all test good. I don't know how to test the heater relay, but if that tests good, it almost has to be the electronic control. Please advise
Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.
They did have a lot of problems with those boards, take a look at the board and see if it has any burnt parts on it. Is there any way you can scan the tech sheet and post it here?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll give it a try. Do you know how to test the relay?
Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.
If I could see the wiring diagram i could tell you how.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just checked the electronic board, and I see very slight discoloration on the wafer board by two components, marked DZ2 and DZ3. Could those be zener diodes? and I wonder if that would cause my problem? We had excess lint buildup in the fan and exhaust, would the heat element failure cause the electronic circuit board to fail?
Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.

It can cause a board failure. It is a resistor that burns up on the board. It is pretty apparent when its bad.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have replaced the board previously, aaproximately 2 1/2 years ago, and it was very apparent, not this time.
Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.
I dont think thats your problem then. Can you scan your diagram?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can't get a scan to go into the dialog box. If you send me an e-mail address, I can send it to you
Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.

Save the file as a jpeg, and then you should be able to. Just click the image of the tree above the text box.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have it saved on my computer at home, I will change the format and send it soon. (I have it in PDF as I e-mailed it to work)

Thanks

Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.

You can do pdf files. Just put in a description and highlight it. then click on the chain next to the smiley face and click browse and then find the file on your computer. That will upload it for me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.

that didnt work.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I will have to try when I get home. I am not having any luck this way.

Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.
Ok I will wait to hear from you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I cannot get a scanned image to "paste" into this dialog box.

Sorry

Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.
Ok, send to spudja at bresnan dot net.
Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ years in the appliance repair field.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Any luck with the wiring diagram?
Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.

Just looking at it now. Stand by.

Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.

Does your dryer have a timed setting and a automatic setting? If it has both have you tried both settings?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It has both and I have tried both, neither setting heats
Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.

Ok. To check the relay you will have to take both red wires off and make sure they dont touch anything. And where you took them off hook up your meter and see if you get continuity when you turn the dryer on. Or you could just jumper them together and see if it heats when you turn it on.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, I wondered if I could turn it on with the wires disconnected! I do have continuity across the relay coil contacts. If the relay tests good, It almost has to be circuit board?
Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.
if the relay tests good then it cant be the board, all the board does is tell the relay to close the contacts. So if the contacts close and you still dont get hit, and all the components by the heater on the wire diagram check good then it is probably the switch on the motor. Which means you have to get a new motor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, Thanks, I would have messed that up!! I'll let you know...
Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Wel th erelay tested good, so i jumped the two wires and got heat. I thought I would plug the relay back in to see if I had anything, and IT WORKED. I figure the relay connections had a little corrosion that rubbed off when I unplugged and replugged, I don't know but it works.

Thank you for all of your help!!

Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.
No problem. You saved yourself a bunch of money.