The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

Maytag microwave MMV5207AA/AC installed above stove. I tried

Customer Question

Maytag microwave MMV5207AA/AC installed above stove. I tried to remove the halogen bulb underneath unit bulb broke and two pins shorted together. Didn't blow the circuit breaker everything out on control panel. I pulled the inline fuse and tested it with a multimeter; it showed 0 ohms. I guess it's good. What do I do next??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

Where is the in line fuse you are refering to located, please?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Howdy Home Smithy,

Maytag Microwave Model MMV5207AAW, SN: 11292453GN, Mfg July 2005

The 250 volt 20 amp ceramic fuse on the noise filter board. I tested it with my ohmmeter and got 0 ohms.

This afternoon I removed the mico controller board and found two open traces in the cooktop lamp circuit. I'm amazed that the fuse didn't blow. I went on line and found a replacement board for $155 + shpg. I downloaded the service manual and think I could probably check the other components out. I would like to know how to SAFELY DISCHARGE the HV capacitor. I don't want to buy a new board and zap when I turn the unit on.

Use a screwdriver with a plastic handle and ground the negitive pole of the cap to the chassis of the unit. Then acrost both the caps poles to be sure.

Are you sure you cant just solder on a jumper wire over the traces? Save you plenty of money if you did. But then again if it blew the traces then Im sure there is an IC or two that took it in the pathways too.

Let me know if you need anything else.

If this answer satisfies your question please click the accept button. I will not be paid if you dont.
You can always ask follow up questions after you accept. I will be here to answer them.
If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me before you accept.
Feedback is how we make sure we provide the best answers available.
Please click on the "Leave Feedback" link after you have accepted. A simple "good job" is all it takes.

Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX Smithy

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Howdy H S,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to be out of town thru Sun nite. I'll accept for now; but I have a few more Questions. I'll be trying to do the repair Monday with a repairman scheduled Tues just in case.

Not a problem. I'll be here.

Thank you for the accept.

Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX Smithy