Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Theres a mildewy smell in the tub. Otherwise, the washer

There's a mildewy smell in the tub. Otherwise, the washer works fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
can you give me model and make?thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
When I do a wash, the outcome is fine. The clothes are washed well, the spin cycles work, etc. The clothes themselves smell fine.

However, after the clothes are removed, there is a smell of mildew in the tub. I'm not sure when it starts, but if I lift the lid later, the smell is there. If I leave the lid open for hours or days, the smell lessens, but is still there.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry, didn't see the make/model info request. It's a Kenmore, Ultra Fabric Care, Heavy Duty, 80 Series.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
these have a plastic outer tub and get allot of stale water and mildew sometimes that sticks to inside of outer tub. sometimes running vinegar through a washer cycle then run washer after with nothing but water will help breakup stuff . but otherwise you have to take machine apart to clean it . a little difficult for most people. try vinegar first and rinse a few times if necessary, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you. How much vinegar? Vinegar and water?

PS: I'm a former Tennesseean: Knoxville, Cleveland.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
usually I use white vinegar and the bigger bottle just pour it in and put it on longest wash and let it fill and run as usual. hope this helps Bryan