Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

No heat in Maytag model MDE9700AYW dryer. I have had an authorized

Customer Question

No heat in Maytag model MDE9700AYW dryer. I have had an 'authorized' service (3) times now and they have no idea what's wrong. They ordered (took two weeks) thermistor & thermistat. They weren't broken to begin with. Then a new control board. Then it turned on, but no heat. They said 'replace the outlet'. So I did. Still no heat. What next? I cannot keep taking days off work to meet the service tech and it's been a MONTH with no dryer. ???? HELP
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
who in the world would tell you to replace the outlet? didnt the service man check power to dryer before even working on it? do you know what he did check? let me take a look at your model and I'll see what I can find out. how old is this dryer? is it under warranty? where did you buy this? let me know I'll be back Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan, where to begin...the first tech looked at the diagnostic code and ordered the parts based solely on that. the second tech was a bit more seasoned and tested everything - supposedly. He kept check the reading on the outlet saying that both sides were not pulling the same. Neither mentioned anything about the heater kit. It was listed right there in the install manual that I got with the dryer. It is not even two years old and the parts they replaced were still under warranty. I bought it through DirectBuy. I keep getting a 'standard' reply from the 800 number and no one there seems to care - they just read from their little book and try to set an appt. I can't keep taking time off work to meet a service tech only to not have an answer or to wait for two weeks for another part.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok , well do you know how to use a volt meter and do you have one? what code did you see? you didnt mention it. and as far as both sides of outlet not pulling them same does he mean amperage? it wouldnt mater anyway there not going to pull the same amps all the time anyway. this is probably going to be difficult to diagnose do you think you can ? also I wont be able to do it tonight got court in morning( no not for me. jury duty) but will probably be back tomorrow evening if you want to try. let me know Thanks Bryan.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan, the code was ts or t5, not sure. The dryer would not even run, it just showed the code and beeped. But the code was for the thermistor/thermistat. Both of those parts were fine, but they ordered them anyway and thought all was good. Then the second tech went online to his 'resource' site and they suggested the assembly board (?). So he ordered it an then came back and replaced it. Then the dryer ran fine, just no heat. So then, the same tech suggested I replace the outlet - maybe the dryer wasn't getting enough juice. So I did that. No change. I was so frustrated after that - I figured I would fix the darn thing myself. The only thing left is the heater kit. I am quite handy so not much intimidates me. I will try anything to get my dryer back. Thanks. I will wait for your reponse. I know how to use a volt meter but will have to borrow one.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok I have to go out for a bit this morning but I'll be back later, we can give it a try. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

bryan,

Just a quick note. I am at work and won't be home until after 5 pm. I will try to get a volt meter and then we can work on it. thanks so much for the quick response. If this works out I will be a great customer and spread the word!

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no problem I'll be home tonight , thanks bryan