Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

my dishwasher fills ok, but then the motor doesnt engage,

my dishwasher fills ok, but then the motor doesn't engage, it just sits there. The heating element goes on to keep the water hot but that is it. I can drain it with the cancel/drain button so the motor works , at least in reverse. Is this a control board problem or might it be something else? Please advise.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. May I please have the model number of your dishwasher?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it is a kenmore , model # XXXXX , and it does engage the motor sometimes , also i know that it may be a model that wont start unless the water is a certain temp. I have run the hot water first a couple of times to make sure that is not the probem. Sometimes it kicks in and some times it doesn't. A while back ago some type of string had got into the food grinder and it would not go at all. I took the screen and othe assembly apart to get at that and put it back together. I also took out 2 marble looking things that i think may be a part of a check valve. but it goes into a drain stack with a p trap so i didnt think that was a critical thing. It did seem a little louder after i put it back together though, is this something that may have caused this problem?? Please reply.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.

I suspect #7 is what you removed...you need to put them back in there. They are part of the water distribution system and are CRITICAL. Also, # XXXXX is the recirculation impeller. Under this impeller is the chopper assembly where you may have something lodged. You might also check the molex plug to the motor. Unplug it and plug it back in and see if that helps...it sounds like it may be a connection problem. These machines were also known to have issues with the door switches burning, which certainly could cause your symptoms. Check these things and let me know what you find...