Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have an 8 year old Maytag front load Neptune washing machine

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old Maytag front load Neptune washing machine (MAH4000AWW) . I selected COLD/COLD wash rinse. The machine filled with HOT water, overfilled flooding the floor and shut off as it entered the rinse cycle. Please advise what repairs need to be made.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. It sounds like your hoses arereversed to the water valve. That will cause the temperature issue. I suspect your water level switch may be plugged. This switc sits on top of the pump under the tub assembly. It is accessed by removing the front panel. Open the door and remove the two phillips screws from each side of the door opening and pull the front panel off. The water level switch is in the rear RH corner. It has a small diameter hose connected to it. Remove that hose and clean out any "gunk" from the opening of the switch or the hose.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Kelly - the machine has been installed for over eight years and we have had no problems with the washer responding correctly to the cold and hot water selections until now. I'm thinking the water solenoid valve unit and /or the circuitry that controls it are the problem, but don't know how that relates to the water level switch. This machine has worked perfectly until yesterday. Any more thoughts?

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Well, you stated that it overfilled and flooded the area, thus the water level switch did not shut the valve off when it should have. There is a possibility that the hot water valve has stuck open, but when you selected cold/cold it would have been warm if that were the case, not hot. The valve gets its signal to turn on from the machine control, but goes through the temp switch as well. There are several possible components that could have caused this scenario, I just started with the most common. So, if you select hot wash, what does it fill witrh and will it continue to fill and flood again?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Kelly - I repeated the cold/cold cycle this morning to observe the machine - overflow water was very warm. Hot water valve appears to be stuck in open position. What can I do to test if this is a mechanical or electrical problem?
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
If you unplug the machine with the water to the machine on, does the water enter the machine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

I suspect the thermistor in the water valve may be the culprit. It allows hot water to be added to the cold to equal an acceptable cold water temp. I believe it is not reading the temp right and adding hot water when it should not be. This thermistor is located in the water valve assembly. The thermistor is part of the water valve assembly, part # XXXXX It is # XXXXX in the attached diagram.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Kellly - Thanks. We'll swap that out and see if it solves the problem. Certainly sounds logical. One last thing - would you check the diagram you sent? #10 on the attachment is a retaining collar on the drain hose.

I appreciate the help!

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Did I say # XXXXX? I meant # XXXXXEmbarassed

I am working on about 15 questions right now and must've got a little off track, sorry!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Roger that.... really appreciate the help!

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

See ya, Dan. Let me know how it works...take care.

kelly