Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a refridgerator with a bottom freezer. The freezer is

I have a refridgerator with a bottom freezer. The freezer is fine, but the refridgerator is not cold. Electrical power is fine.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. You have an air flow issue. Do you hear a fan running in the freezer? Do you see any frost on the back wall of the freezer? May I please have your model number?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes. I can hear the fan in the freezer. it is a Maytag model # mbr2255kes
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Oh, no frost on the back wall.

Okay, in the refrig section there is a damper in the rear of the refrig at the top. Can you feel any cold air coming through that damper?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

There's a vent at the bottom.. not anything at the top, but.. no, I don't feel any cool air

The damper is at the very top of the refrig at the back. It has a white plastic housing around it..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No, I don't feel any cool air

Okay, either the damper is not opening, the fan is not running to bring the air up, or the evaporator is blocked by ice, not allowing the air up to that damper. We need to figure which it is. You say that you can hear the fan in the freezer running, so we can eliminate that. Although you may not see any frost on the back wall, it may be iced up behind the freezer panel. Can you remove that rear freezer panel and see if it is frosted up behind?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I removed the rear panel on the bottom.. I don't see anything frosted up.
The panel in the freezer or in th eback by compressor? We need to be sure we are talking about the same panel. The one we need to see behind is IN the freezer...
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Oh, I see. Well, inside the freezer in back.. it looks a little frosty .. I feel cool air coming out of the round-like panel at the top of the freezer.. then, there's a long panel closer to the bottom.. that's the one that's a little frostly, but not blocked.
Okay, you have a defrost issue. You need to get behind that panel to defrost it and we can fix the broken part...after we find it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Oh, I see.