Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

oven, while baking, went into broiler mode and continued to

oven, while baking, went into broiler mode and continued to heat up to dangerous levels. Would not turn off. Heat so intense that stove top too hot to touch for several hours. Had to turn breaker off to stop oven. F1 code appeared.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using Your relay on the board has welded itself together, causing the F1 code. You will need to replace the oven control. May I please have the model number and I will get you the part number you will need?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.

The control is number 2 in the attached diagram, pat number 74008098. I believe your model number may be MER5870AAW...

That part is available at or at your local parts retailer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is this a part that I can replace myself?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.

Yes, this part is easily replaced. It is accessed from the back of the unit. Be sur to unplug or flip breaker before removing the cover, though. You will see the control as soon as you remove the back cover. It will be held in place by (4) screws. If you remove the control and install the new one, THEN switch wires, one at a time, you will have no problem doing this yourself...and saving approx $100.00 or more!