Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a Kenmore frig with a bottom freezer drawer. It comes

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore frig with a bottom freezer drawer. It comes open (apparently just slides open a little itself, even after firmly closed), and sort of ices up. It costs about $65 for a new gasket and way over $100 for a tech to come and install it. Can you give me instructions that I can understand about how to install the gasket on the freezer drawer myself? Thanks so much, and I'll wait to hear from you. My email address isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. Thanks again!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. I doubt the gasket is your problem. I suspect the drawer glides are causing the door to open. Many of the 596.XXXXXXX models had a rework on the drawer glides. May I please have your model number?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the model number is XXXXX I'll wait to hear from you, and thanks so much.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

The slide assembly is part # XXXXX in the attached diagram. The part number for the rework kit is 67002767 and runs about $60.00. It is available at http://www.myapplianceparts.com/ or from your local parts retailer. It is fairly easy to install, just time consuming, about 1 hour. Once you remove the drawer and shelf, you will see the screws and how it goes in.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the model number is XXXXX Thanks so much, and I'll wait to hear from you.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
I replied with the slide info...did you get that post?
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX sure hope that works. I accept your answer but don't seem able to click on accepts. I think I made the deposit correctly, and want to nail it down, but don't seem able to do that. My email address is XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. Please advise me how to be sure you receive the payment.

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

I have received the payment, thank you very much! This should cure the problem...this was a huge problem for these refrigerators! Again, thank you...

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Here are instructions for replacing the slides...

Remove the drawer and the shelf from freezer. Each slide assembly has (3) screws that hold it in place. Remove all screws. Grasp the front of the slide and pull it away from the cabinet liner. The rear of the slide has a little tab that slides in place inside the liner. Pull the slide forward and it will release and can now be removed. Install the new slide in reverse order.

Please let me know if you need any more help...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I didn't know you had added the specific instructions, and went ahead and ordered the slide assembly. However, I ordered only one, and now realize that I very probably need two. Please tell me how to tell if there is a right and a left assembly, and how I tell which one I have received?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I received an answer from Kelly, and sent for one part he said I needed. However, after receiving the part (one new glide for my Kenmore refrigerator freezer drawer), I realized that I probably need two drawer glides, one for each side of the drawer. I need to check with Kelly to be sure. Do I need to order one more drawer glide, or is one enough?