Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Neptune Gas Dryer MDG4000BWW that just quit working

Customer Question

I have a Neptune Gas Dryer MDG4000BWW that just quit working today. The dryer has power as the light is on inside drum when door is open. When the start button is pressed nothing happens. If I turn the timer knob I hear clicks from the timer. I think that may just be the mechanical clicks from the timer. Any Ideas. Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. I suspect you have a bad door switch or possibly an open thermal fuse. If you depress the switch that the door contacts when closed, does it click?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The switch does click and the light goes on and off when I activate the switch. You mention the fuse. If you can describe where that is I can test. I am a Technician and have a multi-meter I can test it with. Also a quick how to to open up the top I am assuming to get into it.

Thanks

Greg

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

The thermal fuse is # XXXXX in the diagram. The front panel comes off by removing the four phillips screws when you open the door. Then there are a couple of 5/16" screws that hold the top down...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I checked the thermal fuse at least I believe its the fuse. There is a clump of 3 electrical devices the white strip with 2 connectors, a round shaped black device with 2 connectors and the third has 4 connections. Both devices with two connections show .5 ohms on the meter which is the same as just touching my leads together. Whats your thoughts now?

Greg

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Okay, the white one is the thermal and it is good. The other two are thermostats and would not cause the machine not to start, but are okay. Does the motor hum or anything when you try to start it?

I have attached a link to the entire service manual for this dryer. Page 2-4 is a guide for checking the motor. Page 10-11 is the schematic. Looking at the schematic though, it looks like you may have a bad timer. The door switch and thermal fuse is all that is in line with the motor leads from the timer.

http://rapidshare.com/files/141911522/mt_dryer.pdf

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There is no sound at all when the start button is pressed. Is there a test for the timer? I have downloaded the schematic and will look it over.

Greg

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

See if you get 120 VAC at the red wire at the dryness control and to neutral when you push the push to start button with the door closed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I plugged it back in to do that test and I could hear the timer motor run and I pushed the door switch and the dryer started. It started working just as fast as it quit. Thanks for your help and the schematic. I found the orgional on the back panel as well. The wife is happy and I am happy. What a way to spend Labor day:-(

Thanks
Greg

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Well, problem solved. Good job, I hope it works well now. Take care...

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Kelly I just got online tonight and will leave you positive feedback. I saw on you profile you are a ham and gmrs user. I just got my gmrs license WQJK535 and am going a crest group here in sourthern California.

Thanks again for your help.

Greg

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Oh sweet. We have two GMRS repeaters here, one east and one west. N7YHE has graciously purchased all of the equipment and secured repeater sites for the equipment. We are trying to grow some interest among the community, but it is a slow process here! There are about 5 regulars on our repeater system (GMRS) and with the two repeater sites, we have a great coverage area! Good job on the repair, and thanks for the accept. If you ever get to MT, give me a call...I monitor pretty much everything! I'm sure I'm the only service van in town with 7 antennas and a doppler direction finder array...my wife rarely rides with me! LOL

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Kelly

I just had a chance to check back on this email string this morning. Thats cool that you almost have your own private GMRS network up their. I have access to about 20 repeaters here in southern California. I just was accepted into the Creast React team on Thursday and they seem to be a great group. We are doing allot of planning right now for the shakeout.org which is a simulation of the big quake. The last quake of any size in the last 10 years or so was in Chino Hills which is where I live. Our phones and cell phones were all out which got me off my ass to get a backup communication plan in place. Our groups repeaters are all battery backed up. I am looking to purchase a few radios one for the house and a portable for me to carry. I am asking lots of questions right now on radios. What do you use? Some members of the crest team have some radios for sale like the Motorola GP300 that is all programed for out repeaters already but I think I want something that I can face program if I want to. Speaking of direction finders at the meeting Thursday night they were discussing trying to find a Knuckle Head that keeps jambing certain people and they are on a mission to get who ever it is. I don't know how all that works yet but it sound like a fun challenge.

I was in MT the first week in August. I flew into Great Falls and spent the night and drove to Lethbridge where we had a time share. We went up into Banff etc. Spent a week up their. Its beautiful country up there. Let me know if you have a favorite radio. I have been reading up on the FCC part 95 and part 90 radios and using them on GMRS. Are your radios all part 95?

Well have a good one and I will check back now and then.

Greg

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Hi Greg, I use primarily Midland radios. Most of the ones I have are the older trunk mount as they are a dime a dozen on e-Bay. I do have a GP300 that I got and really like it, though. I also have Kenwood and Motorola portables. I have a couple Maxon SM4450SC mobiles left that are pretty good radios as well. Send me an e-mail at smitty@bresnan.net so we don't tie up this forum...

Kely