Bob Schauer
Bob Schauer, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience in commercial and domestic appliance repair

I have an Amana refrigerator/freezer side by side # XXXXX

Customer Question

I have an Amana refrigerator/freezer side by side # XXXXX The 110 volt circulating fan in the freezer is not being turned on. Iremoved and bench tested the fan. It works. Can you help me repair this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob Schauer replied 5 years ago.
The problem may be the door switch for the freezer. Some units have two switches, one for the light and one for the fan. Other units have one switch that serves both purposed. If the light is on when the door is open and you have a two switch configuration, then press both switches and see which one turns the light off. The other one will be the fan switch. Replace it. If you have a single switch that serves both functions then it will need to be replaced. You can order on line by going to "Google" and enter in the search box your make, "Amana Parts" and then you will find a parts house that handles your units parts. Be sure to have the complete model number and ask for a fan switch. You can also go to a local parts house by searching for one in your city through Google or the Yellow Pages. I hope that I have been helpful to and if you think so please leave good feedback and mark the ACCEPT box. I just thought of something, do you realize that the fan switch is there to stop the fan when you open the freezer doof? If it works when you press the switch then you have a different problem. Please get back to me. Thanks, Bob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we have one switch on each door. Both lamps function as they should. Where would another switchbe?
There may not be another switch. They often us one switch for both items. When switch is in the open position, door open then it activates the light. When you push the door shut it then switches over to the fan. The fan is turned on and the light is turned off. You should push the switch in while the door is open and see if the fan runs. If it doesn't, since you bench tested the motor and know its good then logically the switch is bad. Need to replace. Be careful when you pull the switch out. Now I am talking about the switch in the freezer compartment. There should be three wires going to it. Let me know if something is different. One other thing does the compressor run? Bob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are only two wires on the switch. The compressor is working. The freezer makes ice on the bottom shelf and all the coils in the back of the freezer compartment. This is the Amana Side by Side Model #SX23VW Serial #XXXXXXXXXX.   Sorry for the delay. We have had
a lot of company visiting.
Ok then what we have is a defrost problem. There are three components that affect the defrost. Actually four but you have already eliminated the fan motor. You might have a bad defrost termination thermostat. Its located on the refrigeration coil and looks like a large bottom. Its about the size of a quarter in diameter and its about six quarters thick. It will probably have two wires coming out of it. With the power off, unplug the wires from the thermostat and plug them in together, turn the power back on. If the fan starts working then you will want to replace that little thermostat it is usually held on with a small clip. Now we may have an additional problem with the defrost system and that would be the heater element or the timer. You will need to defrost the coil but please do not use anything to chip at the frost/ice. You have to remove the rear panel inside the freezer to get at the coils. A hair dryer can speed the process up if you have the patients to stand there. Warm water is also a faster means of defrosting the coil. You may be able to look at the heating element and tell if its bad after the coils are defrosted. If the element is good then we have to find the time. It is a small box and sometimes they locate it under the refrigerator/freezer either in the front corner or possibly at the back corner. If its not there then look at the top inside of the refrigerator. There is a small button that a straight blade screw driver can fit into and turn the button slowly clockwise until you hear a click. This is with the power on. As soon as you hear the click the refrigeration should stop. If that is the case then you will need to replace the timer as its internal motor isn't cycling the timer. Sounds like a lot but once you get it defrosted, the rest should go pretty quick. This should solve your problem. Let me know if there is something else I can help you with. Bob