The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Oh boy! Our microwave Sensor oven door is stuck tight and

Customer Question

Oh boy! Our microwave Sensor oven door is stuck tight and therefore we are unable to get Model and Serial numbers. Can you help??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

What brand is the unit, please?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
GE SENSOR MICROWAVE OVEN
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
GE SENSOR MICROWAVE OVEN MODEL #JES1656WH 001

Ok Jean I will look this up and get back to you shortly.

Ok sorry for the delay

Please click here for a breakdown of your unit. If you remove the cover from the main chassis you will be able to use a screwdriver to unlock the unit. You should also be able to see the problem that is locking your unit.

WARNING!!

Unplug the unit prior to any work being done.

Please be aware that there is a high voltage capacitor in this unit. It can carry a lethal charge even if unplugged. It is located to the rear of the unit at the bottom. Stay clear of it and any exposed wires or connections inside the unit.

If this answer satisfies your question please click the accept button. I will not be paid if you dont.
You can always ask follow up questions after you accept. I will be here to answer them.
If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me before you accept.
Feedback is how we make sure we provide the best answers available.
Please click on the "Leave Feedback" link after you have accepted. A simple "good job" is all it

takes.

Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX Smithy

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Mr. Smithy-

Thank you for your reply-I've attempted to remove the cover to allow access to the guts of the unit. There are two Phillips head screws which have be removed, but it appears as if more brass colored screws must also be removed. They, however, have a different slot, neither Phillips nor slot shaped. Should I have a special tool to remove these screws?

Yes it is called a torx driver. You can get them at any auto parts store or Radio Snack.

Please dont forget the accept button.

You can always ask follow up questions if you like.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I've removed the cover as suggested in your 9/3 message. It appears that the door latch release does release the botom catch but not the top. I don't see a link between the bottom and top catch. What am I missing?

Part #14260 (2nd drawing) is the locking arm. It slides iup the angled front of part #43500a (4th drawing) then drops down and latches over the back of the angled areas. It engages the three safety micro switches (#46001- 2 each. and #46002) when it is fully locked into place,

If only the bottom is moving then the piece that connects the top and bottom of part of #14260 is broken. This will be the part you need to replace.