Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

why does my Maytag washer sometimes put soapy water on the

Customer Question

why does my Maytag washer sometimes put soapy water on the floor, it seems not to come from the input or drain hose
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
can you give me model #? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
MAV5758EWW
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok you may have a bad drain pump,or a bad hose , or your seal may be leaking. is there a panel on the front of this machine you can remove. may have screws on bottom , if not is there one in the rear of machine? you need to look inside machine to see which part is leaking.let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes, there is a panel at the rear, does not give too much access. Also, this does not happen every time, just evry so often. I have accused my wife of over loading or using too much detergent.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well that could cause this also, run machine without any clothes or detergent and use a flashlight to watch inside machine and see if you can see where its leaking. let me know the area and I tell you what it most likely would be. watch drain cycle good . dont reach inside machine with it running it spins fast. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I did run the machine with just water and there was no leak visible on the floor, we have since done some more laundry and it again showed no water evidence on the floor of the laundry room. There is limited access to get in behind the washer but I will try this next time we get a leak.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
thanks let me know if you need me again. leave question open so it wont cost you again thanks again Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have just noticed that the 'soap' is coming up from the drain, where the drain hose is attached. Could the drain be blocked up with soap deposit ? Even when the rinse is clean of soap, there is a trickle of soap suds coming back from the drain. (I had always though it must have come from beneath the machine)
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yes soap now days is consentrated and you should only use have of what they tell you to (they want you to buy more all the time ) is your drain loose ? does it have the kind of clamp that you need plyers to take off? you may have a small hole in the drain hose . check it good and get the kind of clamp you use a screwdriver to tighten. there shouldnt be any thing getting out of drain . is it backing up out of your drain pipe? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's a modern style hose with a plastic mechanisim that makes it fit tight in the drain hole. It has about 9 inches inserted in the drain hole. The soap is coming out of the drain hole. My wife is very defensive saying she has done laundry for years and that she did not put too much soap in, she also uses fabric softener. I am pretty sure there is no hole in the hose. Running just water there is no problem. I put some white vineger down the drain hole to try and nueteralize the soap build up. So far, it seems to be okay but the large laundry is complete for now. I will watch it closely. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
no problem . let me know Thanks Bryan