Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

ice maker wont work

Customer Question

ice maker wont work
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
can you give me make and model#? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
maytag mzd2766geq
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok,does the icemaker turn at all? can you remove front cover of icemaker? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry i had too step out yes you can see the on-off bar cycle and yes i can pull the cover off
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok if its running we need to check to see if your water tube that feeds the water though the back and into ice maker isn't frozen. this is the round tube that goes directly into the back of ice maker inside freezer and puts water into cup at back of ice maker. also make sure cup isn't frozen. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
did that this morning and water is flowing through tube
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok take cover off front of ice maker and check the center of the gear there are two little fingers that hold it on tight see if gear is loose and a finger isn't broke. be careful if gear comes off in your hand the copper fingers under it are live and you will get shocked if you touch these. let me know. Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the gear is fine. nothing is loose.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok so what exactly is going on ? if your getting water and the ice maker is turning your saying your not making ice right? is the water in the ice maker not freezing? is the ice maker not ejecting the ice ? if water is going in and the water isnt freezing or not freezing solid then thats a problem with the temp. in freezer or for some reason ice maker is not getting the air flow on to it. let me know which of these is your problem> thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
water is not filling the ice tray but water dispenser does work and the on-off arm bar of ice maker cycles
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
need too step out for the day till around 7pm
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok I'll be here tonight if you want to continue, I think I might know whats wrong now. talk to you later Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok bryan i am back   what is your diagnossis
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I think you have a bad fill valve. these valves have two sides , one for water in door and one for ice, I believe the ice side is bad but there one piece so you need to change the whole valve. its in the back where your water line connects. its has two soliniods on it and I nthink either soliniod on ice side is bad or inside of valve is gummed up. either way it needs to be changed if its bad , you can't realy take these apart and fix it. hope this helps Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
alright byran I agreewith you thanks for your help
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hey byran i went and installed the new fill valve and nothing so far any other suggestions
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
cant figure that? well I'm sorry about that but if everything is turning you must have a burnt contact in ice maker . do you have a volt meter? let me know and I'll tell you how to jump start ice maker and you can put meter on two wires that go to valve and see as it goes around if you get any power to valve. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan I dont have a volt meter but I can get ahold of one but it wont be tonight, byt if you could go ahead and tell me how i will at least have the answer at my disposal when i can get back to it in a day or so   thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sure, take the cover off front of ica maker and you will see holes with letters near the 5 oclock position you should see holes marked t and h these are the ones you will use to start icemaker. take a piece of wire about 4" long not to thick and strip it back about 3/4 of an inch on each end then stick it in the holes until it starts to move hold it there only until you hear a faint click then pull it out and it shoul keep running all the way around. before doing this unplug the wire from valve on the ice maker side ( you can tell by where hose goes in) and put meter on voltage and put one lead in each connector and then start ice maker and watch for voltage when it goes around and when fingers on ice maker get to about 12 oclock you should get 120 volts to valve , (words of warning . the wire you are going to stick in holes will be live so dont touch bare wire with fingers) let me know if you get voltage if you do try it again with valve hooked back up.see if water comes in. thanks Bryan