Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Are todayss Whirlpool dishwashers the same high quality of

Are todays's Whirlpool dishwashers the same high quality of yesteryear's KitchenAid dishwashers back in the late 80's and 90's. I need to replace mine and need some expert advice.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using Today's dishwashers are good, but in my opinion not like the "old" ones. Unfortunately, that is manufacturer wide, not just Whirlpool. The biggest reason is the stringent energy usage guidelines enacted by the government. The most noticeable change is the drying, or lack there of. They are not allowed to run the heaters as they used to, so the dishes don't dry as well. You HAVE TO USE rinse aid. I personally don't use it and just air dry, but I don't use high end dishes so it doesn't matter...(3 kids!)Smile

Next, the water use has had some very drastic cuts. Therefore, the dishwashers have to use less water and don't have the pressure they used to. The motors have to be energy efficient as well, so they have less pumping capacity. The manufacturers combat that by varying techniques, but it is what it is. Less water, less heater time, weaker motor....

However, if I were purchasing a new diahwasher, I personally would buy a Kitchen Aid. My whole house is Kitchen Aid or Whirlpool...they have been a great company for a long time. Their products are consistently at the top of the Consumer Reports charts, for just about every line! I provide warranty service for all of the manufactures (US models and limited imports) and, by far, have the least trouble with Whirlpool (products and administration). I hope this helps and was not too discouraging....