Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

The oven door has become detached. I am trying to put it back

Customer Question

The oven door has become detached. I am trying to put it back on but the hinge is spring loaded, and I can't get it back on. I don't even the proper positioning of the moveable part on the door hinge.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Are you working on a Whirlpool built range? If so, there is a small hole on each piece that goes into the range from the door hinge. You need to move the door hinges to the wide open position and put a small screw in that hole to hold it in place while you reinstall the door. What is the model munber and I will get you a picture....

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Maytag Precision Touch Control 800

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.

The model number is XXXXX the range, probably behind the lower drawer on a sticker.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
MERH865RAS
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.

Here is a picture of your door ass'y. Are there little metal clips that fold down by the hinge?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes there are metal clips that rotate on the hinge part #3

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.
Are you able to pull the hinge down far enough to fold those clips over?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I can rotate the clips about 300 degrees--I have been trying to have the clip catch the bottom of the opening as I put the door back on. But the hook on the hinge (part #3) does not reach the latch-bar inside the oven opening without having the spring action flip the hook out of reach of the latch-bar.

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.
That little "flipper" should prevent the spring from closing the hinge, unless it is worn and will not catch. Can you put a small screwdriver in the hinge to help hold it until you get it started?
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The door is now back on but it does not close very tightly---it is at least tight enough to turn off the light, but barely
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I suppose it will tighten up with time?
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.
Probably not, you may need to replace the hinges....part number 74010546 available at www.myapplianceparts.com or at your local parts retailer. They run about $15.00 each...