Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

The freezer compartment of my refrigerator is cool but not

Customer Question

The freezer compartment of my refrigerator is cool but not freezing. Refrigerator area is warm.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
can you give me make and model#? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's a General Electric. I think this is the model # XXXXX TBX 18JA. Freezer on the top.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
can you tell me if there is any frost on back panel inside freezer section? look good behind food. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I really thin layer. I couldn't see it, but I could scrape it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ok you need to remove back panelin freezer and look behind at the coils and tell me what it looks like if its realy packed with frost you have a defrost problem. dont scape coiles though use a hair dryer to defrost completely and then we will find out what the problem is. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I can't get the back all the way off. It seems to be attached at the bottom with wires. I can pull it to about a 45 degree angle and I can see there's A LOT of ice back there. If I melt it there will be a flood.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
get lots of towels because this has to be defrosted. thats why your ref. isnt cooling. we have to do this daily, you have a defrost problem. very common in ref.sorry. let me know what you want to do . Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK, I'm defrosting. I'll have to do this every day?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
no this will run good for about 3-4 weeks before frosting up again.you need to get a volt meter and know how to use it if your going to attempt to repair it yourself. if you cant then you have to call a service man to do it, let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What's the volt meter for?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
we have to check components to see whats causing problem. Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Well the crisis is over. Thanks. I don't know what I'll do in the long run.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
well if you know someone with a volt meter and knows how to use it get back to me and I'll walk them through it. please press accept and please leave feedback and thank you. Bryan