Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have a GE Profile Microwave/convection oven (built-in) that

We have a GE Profile Microwave/convection oven (built-in) that turns on but does not heat. What part would be needed to fix this?
can you give me more info? is it the oven or microwave that doesnt heat? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

It is the microwave part that doesn't heat; we don't use the convection. We have already pulled out the unit. The model number is XXXXX; serial LF946282S. It is only less than 5 years old. It did this temporarily once before; then spontaneously went back to heating.

ok . I'll have to get back to you this afternoon I have to go out for awhile this morning, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK. No problem.
I think you may have a bad magnetron or possibly a bad door switch. there is also a diode that could be bad, and a host of other things. microwaves are very hard to diagnose and not to mention dangerous to work on. the capacitor stores allot of power even when unplugged. I would call a service man in to repair this for your own safety.hope this helps, Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does a service rep diagnose by replacing one of these parts and seeing what works or can he eye-ball the part and be able to tell?
he wont be able to eyeball it he will have to test for problem, maybe can eyeball diode possibly sometimes they look burnt.the only reason I suggest calling service man is for your safety. don't let him charge you for something that didn't work though.let me know how it goes , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

We have an appointment for GE to look at the microwave. Of course I am accepting your answer, I just want to be sure I can come back and discuss this with you if needed.

Thanks for your input!

sure just let me know thanks Bryan.