Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a Whirpool refrigerator, side by side and the freezer

Customer Question

I have a Whirpool refrigerator, side by side and the freezer part is cooling but the refrigerator side is not, seem very hot and I set the control to the coldest and nothing. Please help, give me some advise.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. You have an airflow issue. Do you see any frost on the back wall of the freezer towards the bottom? May I please have the model number of your refrigerator?

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I do not have any frost on the back wall of freezer, The Model number is XXXXX
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Okay, do you hear a fan running in the freezer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

On the controls, there is a freezer control and a refrig control. Turn the freezer control to the LOWEST setting and see if you have airflow into the refrig part through the diffuser ass'y, part # XXXXX in the attached diagram.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I have airflow in the Refrigerator part, but had a slight flow before. But I turn the freezer part to lowest and left the refrigerator part at the highest.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
The freezer control is simply a damper door between the freezer and the refrig. The higher the freezer setting, the less air to the refrig. Is it possible that th freezer setting was just set too high, blocking the air flow to the refrig?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, I have had airflow from Freezer to refrigerator, but even the trays in the refrig. are extremely hot, I even left it overnight to see if that would even itself out and nothing. HELP!
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure what you mean by the "trays" being hot. You may have a plugged condenser or the fan may not be running. Remove the back cover from the compressor area and see if that fan is running.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, the fan is running in the back of the refrigerator around the compressor area.

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
So what is hot? If the freezer is okay and the air from the freezer is geeting into the refrigerator area, I am not sure what trouble you are having....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, Nothing in the freezer part is freezing, I have meat that is cold, that it. On the refrigerator side, nothing is cold, I feel the air flow in the inside rear of refrig. blowing in, but it still hot inside (refrig.). Also, the ice maker is hooked up and positiioned on, but no ice. I'm just not sure, what else to check. But hopeful, let me know.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Okay, let's check the evaporator. Pull the back panel off from the freezer side. Let me know what you see in there, like any frost buildup or if the evaporator has only a partial frost pattern or ball of ice in one corner.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, I want to make sure I understand what you need me to do. I have removed all my items in the freezer, I have clear access to a silver panel, I need to remove that panel?
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the light metal panel that covers the back of the freezer section. Once removed, you will see a large shiny silver tubing assembly with metal "fins." Let me know what you see in there...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, I removed the back panel, inside I see some frost along one metal tube, running from the bottom along the right side up to top. I hope that makes sense?
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Okay, that is not good...you should see frost on the entire coil. You have a sealed system problem. If this unit is less than 5 years old, it may still be under warranty. If ytou give me your serial number I can look it up for you. If it is not under warranty, you will need to contact a technician to repair.
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, Serial # XXXXX Model # XXXXX When you reply, if not still under warranty, just a quess on the amount I should be expecting to spend to replace, if necessary?
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Well, this machine was manufactured the week of 01/08/2007. The warranty is 1 year parts and labor...do you remember when you purchased this unit?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I believe this was purchased in November of 2007. If I am incorrect, tell me the worse case.. $$$$
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

If the compressor is out totally, which would be worst case, it would run about $400.00 here in Billings, MT. You may be slightly lower or higher, depending on where you live. If it is out of warranty, I would call Whirlpool and see if they will concession it.

1-800-253-2870

Sorry for the bad news....

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, I thank you so much for all your help and at least I know where I stand. You have been great! I live in Tucson, Arizona. Have a great and Safe Labor Day.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Sounds good, thanks Curt. It is chilly and rainy here, so I am tiling my bathroom...yuk! See ya...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hey Kelly,

Glad you emailed back the Whirlpool number you provided is out of service, the message is that there is another number. The number you gave me was (XXX) XXX-XXXX.

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, 1-800-253-1301 I gave you the old techline number...Embarassed
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not a probelm, get bck to your bathroom work.. Thanks again, Kelly.... Curt
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
see ya