Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances

I have a RCA side-by-side refrigerator/freezer with an ice

Customer Question

I have a RCA side-by-side refrigerator/freezer with an ice and water dispenser in the door. We no longer are getting ice. No noise or movement from the dispenser. Water is available at the door. Is there and easy fix or will the water need to be shut off and the dispenser replaced?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

There are a couple of things to check before we decide you need a new ice maker or dispenser.

Is there Ice in bin inside the freezer? If there is NO ice inside the bin then -

Check the water hose that feeds the ice maker inside the freezer (behind the freezer). Carefully squeeze the hose to see if it is frozen (hard). This will prevent the ice maker from making ice.

Please post the model number from the fresh food compartment wall so that we can give you more specific information.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank-you for responding so quickly.

When we noticed the ice maker not working (last week Thursday) the ice bin was 1/3 full. We have since use that ice up. The water line does not appear to be frozen, it is flexible. Model # XXXXX XXXXX WW. If you have recieved a previous e-mail from me with this same information, please bear with me until I get this on-line correspondense routine figured out.

Thanks again,

That's good news. This problem may very likely be that the water valve needs to be changed. The water valve has two outputs and the solenoid for the icemaker may be bad.

This is behind the refrigerator where the house's waterline connects to the refrigerator.

You would disconnect the two outputs on the other side of the valve and switch them. Then you try the water dispenser. NOW if you have no water from the dispenser you would know the water valve needs to be changed.