Bob Schauer
Bob Schauer, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience in commercial and domestic appliance repair
11862455

DYSON DC14 MAKES GRINDING NOISE WHEN THICK RUG AND ON FRILL

DYSON DC14 MAKES GRINDING NOISE WHEN THICK RUG AND ON FRILL EDGES, TOO OFTEN SOUNDS LIKE GEARS

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX and know exactly what noise you are talking about because I have a Dyson vacuum myself. That noise your hear is the gear part of the motor and drive linkage that is grinding away the gears. The beater bar gets jammed with the long strands of carpeting and what ever else gets caught up in the bar and freezes up until you shut it off. I highly recommend that don't have the selector set to "Carpet" when doing the carpet. I will do some research and get back to you ASAP

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I highly recommed that don't have the selcetor set to carpet when doind the carpet ?

that's what you wrote above? Are you saying not to set it to carpet? if so then set to what. I always check setting for each job.

I kind of thought it was gears grinding or slipping. will it damage it and what can I do about it?

Sorry if I was confusing you. What I was trying to say is that something is getting caught in the beater bar causing it to freeze up. You may need to take the bottom plate off of the vacuum and look to see if some strings have gotten caught in the beater bar. As far as running the vacuum on the carpet with the carpet control turned to bare floor, that was because I have found that throw rugs etc with a long nap threads jam my vacuum. In order to avoid jamming it I put the control to bare floor setting which disengages the beater bar so that it doesn't get jammed. My regular carpet is a low nap type and it doesn't have that problem when the beater bar is engaged. I would say if you have a long nap carpet you may have to go to Dyson's web page to look at the FAQ's to see what they suggest. I am sure that you and I are not the only ones to have this problem. Bob