Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a kenmore elite side by side fridge. Model # XXXXX

Customer Question

I have a kenmore elite side by side fridge. Model # XXXXX It has turned itself off 4 times this week. I have not had to reset any breakers or replace fuses. All I do is push the on button and it starts and it cools perfectly. What could make it randomly turn itself off?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Let me check your model, be right back. Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I checked your model and suspect you have a bad temperature control board, does the digital readout go off when this shuts down? If you click on this link www.repairclinic.com and put in part # XXXXX you will see control. its very expensive though on this site its $210.00 but you may find it cheaper somewhere else. I'll see if I can find it cheaper but cant promise anything.thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, it almost seems like it is unplugged but all I have to do is push the on button and it comes back on.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
why they ever went to electronic control boards I'll never know! we are always replacing boards in refrigerators they just dent work well for very long. if you dent want to take a chance that its board I would call a service tech. in to look at it. I believe its the board though. the one thing to check before that is to make sure all the plugs on the board are tight thats all there is besides compressor asm. but that wouldn't make it shut off. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what is the compressor asm? just curious. Do you think a novice can replace the board? it is located under the digital display?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Thats the relay and overload on compressor, I probably didn't use the right term for it but it wouldn't cause the control to shut down anyway. I see your from Memphis , I'm in east tn. moved here from ma. nicer weather. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the weather is mild most of the time but it can get hot in the summer. Is the control board located under the digital read out? Is it very difficult to replace yourself?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
not realy, there should be screws to take out so you can lower the control unit , unplug ref. first though. this should take care of problem. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
no problem , you can come back and ask more questions if you need . Thanks Bryan