Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

The freezer on our Kitchenaid works, but the

Customer Question

The freezer on our Kitchenaid works, but the refrigerator temp goes up for a day or two & then cools back down. It is 5 years old. A sise by side.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
can you tell me if you see any frost on the back panel inside the freezer section,? look real good . let me know Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, there is
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you have a defrost problem, the thing to do now is to defrost it manually.unplug ref. take rear panel off freezer section and take a hair dryer to the coils until all the frost is gone .put towels down to soak up water, when you have that done put panel back on and plug ref. back in and let it get back down to temp . overnight. tomorrow get back to me and I will try to help you diagnose. do you have a meter? let me know , thanks Bryan. p.s don't use anything but hair dryer to defrost( screwdriver etc.)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: It was unplugged for 2 days with the door open. It worked for a couple of days before it started doing the up & down thing again. The repairman ordered a part, but he is just guessing. We've been trying to get this fixed for a month. He diesn't really know what to do. He may or may not come back today. If he doesn't, it will be sometime Friday before it comes. The part is to do with the control panel
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
would it be the cold control that he ordered? I wasn't aware you had someone working on it. is the condenser fan running? thats the fan beside the compressor. does it feel hot between doors? do you hear any clicking or buzzing in the back ? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They just put in a new control panel Hopefully that will take care of it. It was over $200. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
wow, I hope it does, let me know I wish you well, thanks Bryan