Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a frigidaire gas dryer that is not heating up, but ...

I have a frigidaire gas dryer that is not heating up, but is still tumbling and the thermostat is not working. How much will it be to get these things repaired by someone? Is it cheaper to buy the parts and do it myself? Are the repairs hard to do? What parts will I need? Thanks!
well that depends on what the service company you call. whatever you do don't call sears unless you want to pay more to fix than machines worth , if its the igniter you could probably do it yourself for very little money, (I don't have model # XXXXX don't know how much) the thing is you need a volt meter and know how to use it, I could help you diagnose if you do. let me know, Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: The model number is XXXXX The dryer is beginning to heat sometimes, then going out. We have cleaned the duct and there is nothing around the dryer to stop air flow. We are also having a problem with the timer dial. It works for timed drying but not regular drying. Thanks agian.
ok I have to go to work but I'll be back after lunch. it sounds like you have bad gas valve coils . there not allot of money and pretty easy to replace. talk to you later Bryan.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: So you think it could be the gas valve coil? What about the thermal cup? What can I do about the timer dial not working? Can I replace that too? Is it hard to do and how much does that cost? Let me know what you think and how much you think it will cost? Thanks.
well let me check model I'll be back shortly. Bryan
ok this is what I know, first of your machine doesn't have a thermal coupling in it . the reason I think you need gas coils is because you said it lites sometimes and goes out. if your venting is clear this should stay lit. instead of thermal cup. you have a flame sensor, the gas coils keep gas valve open and I think there weak and unable to do so.next the timer wont advance in auto cycle because the dryer has to be at a certain temp. to tell timer to advance and it doest reach the temp. needed. the gas coils should do the trick. they are around $30. and you can find them at www.repairclinic.com if you need to see them. hope this helps clear up your problem, please press accept and please leave feedback if your happy with my help. thanks again Bryan