Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Whirlpool Washer model # XXXXX the agitator works but ...

Customer Question

Whirlpool Washer model # XXXXX the agitator works but the tub will not spin. Which part has failed?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
more than likely your lid switch is bad . does it drain? I'll check model for you . Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
the motor runs but the tub doesn't move so its not the lid switch
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ok , do you still want me to help? there are more than one reason for this to happen . the tub does not move at all? when you open top when its in agitate you can see it agitate right? you may have a bad clutch in machine , the clutch doesnt have anything to do with agitate . just spin.there is also a break in machine that may not be releasing. there is a piece calleds a driver , brake cam that releases brake to let machine spin. click on this link and you can see diagrams of your machine. they have the best views. click on brake and drive tube parts and look at part 15 thats the piece that releases brake , that may be your problem. you already accepted so dont hit accept again just ask me what you need to know , Thanks Bryan