Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Kenmore freezer model(NNN) NNN-NNNN Freezer wasnt ...

Kenmore freezer model(NNN) NNN-NNNN Freezer wasn''t freezing on the bottom half. Lower 2 racks were thawed. Upper coil and next down were very iced up. Defrosted freezer. Verified all clean below. Started up again. 2nd rack from top started frosting within a couple minutes. Fifteen minutes later, the upper is starting to frost. Still nothing on the lower 2. Is there a problem? How longs should I wait? Thanks in advance.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
its sounds like its low on freon. but before you panic let it run for a couple of hours and see what the coils look like then.sometimes it takes a while to frost all the way .you should be frosted on all the coils by then ,if not you probably have a freon leak. check in back of ref. and make sure the condenser fan next to the compressor is running. let me know Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
this is Bryan again you may not have a fan behind near compressor this is just a freezer not ref/freezer right. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is an upright freezer only. There isn't a fan that I can see. The sides and top are warm. Plus the compressor and all lines below are good and warm. I put a thermometer in the freezer. #6 on the dial, the frosted rack is 20 degrees. The lower 2 are more like 32, and still aren't frosted. It has been running for nearly 2 hours.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
sounds like nyou may have a leak and are loosing freon somewhere , you cnat check this yourself you need to call someone and ask how much to repair leak and recharge system. they will have to recover what freon is left in system and fill with nitrogen and find leak before refilling.this may be expensive I would check prices for new one before calling for serviceI wish I had better news. let it run overnight and see what it looks like then, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The lower rack reads 26 degrees. I assume just because the upper 2 are doing all the cooling. The upper 2 are nice and frosty, the lower 2 don't have even a hint of frost. Does part of the cooling stuff run in the walls and top as well? Is that why they are warm? If so, and the leak is there, a new one is pretty much the only option, yes?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yeah I'd say get a new one for the money you would have to spend to fix this your better off with a new freezer. there are no guaranties you can find leak anyway it could be inside body. sorry, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
no problem wish i could have given you better news but unfortunatly sometimes its better to cut your loses, and buy new one. you wouldnt want to take a chance of loosing hundreds of dollars worth of food right? thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
if you think I've helped you at all please press accept, and please leave feedback its important. thanks again Bryan