Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

i have an old dryer mod LDG 410 and the burner will not ...

Customer Question

i have an old maytag dryer mod LDG 410 and the burner will not come on. i have the unit pulled out and disconnected from the gas source can i trouble shoot from here. what components should i begin to check and what sort of checks can i perform. i am a retired aircraft mechanic and i do know how to use a volt ohm meter and good with hand tools. i now have the front cover removed so i can gain acess to all the burner components.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yes you can .i can help you with that. you have the front off thats good. let me look up your model . I'll be back. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks i'll be waiting. there is a parts outlet for maytag that will be open at 1:00 my time, so maybe just maybe i can get my parts and have this back on line this evening with your help.
thanks for the reply.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
first off this is a great dryer! these things last forever with very few problems. ok lets get started.have you found your ignitor yet? if you have unplug it and put meter leads one in each hole and start dryer check for 110 volts. you have to jump door switch to do this. let me know if you can . Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
let me make sure i have identified the correct part. is the igniter the black box mounted on the side of the tube at 9:oclock(where the flame is) as you face the dryer, it has a wht/blk wire. i pulled those wires from the box and ran the machine and did not get 110. i hope i described this well enough.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well the initor should be inside burner asm. I think what you were trying to test was the electronic eye (or flame sensor) ok click here www.repairclinic.com and when site comes up put in your model # XXXXX then scroll down and click electrical and the first thing you see is ignitor, let me know. take a look at all electrical parts we will be testing more than one probably .maybe you can print them out so when i need to have you check you will know what to look for. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks i'll pull up that list so we can communicate.
thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok your ignitor has a plug on it . unplug and stick one lead in both of the feeds and start dryer and you should have 110volts giong to ignitor.let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok i un-pluged the ignitor leads(wht/purple) ran the macine, and read 18.5 vlts. oh by the way should there be a small probe like projection going inside the burner can from the ignitor? there is nothing like that on my machine?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yeh do the wires you tested go to that? did you see the ignitor online? its flat and the end that gets hot is gray carbon type looking are you saying its gone? they break real easy maybe thne parts are still in tube laying on the bottom of tube . look and see . also the voltage was only 18.5 volts? thats not right either. you may have a blown thermal fuse (very common)the bnext step is to take the two wires off that black box on side of heater tube and put them together tape so they wont ground and do the test again on ignitor plug. let me know
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok i'm so stupid, i found the ignitor online and enlarged the picture so i could see it better, went back and pulled the connector to the ignitor(two red leads) and there was no voltage to the ignitor. there is another black plastic device on the right side of the tube(thermostat?)will do the above the test. back with you in a second.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
used a jumper across the sensor(left side of tube)one side of the ignitor connector read 1.3vlt the other .3
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok you have to find where you missing power. do you know how to check continuity ? if you do check all the thermostats across the 1/4" connectors ( take wires off first) and they should all have continuity . look at diagram to see thermostats.you should be able to see diagrams at www.pcappliancerepair.com let me know bryan. p.s. did you put one lead in one side of plug and the other lead in the other hole in plug to test those two wires going to ignitor should read 110volts
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i did not,i put one lead in the connector and the other lead to ground, alternating holes.will now check continuity of thermostats.I HAVE THE DIAGRAM thanks.i could only see one thermostat?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
listen before you check all the thermostats and tnhere should be more than one put one lead in one hole of ignitor plug and the other in the other hole and run test again you should have 110v. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i must not have done the test correctly, i just re-did the test in this fashion. each lead from the meter in each hole of the connector at the same time. both sides read 1.2 volts with meter set on AC volt-200
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
click on this link www.searspartsdirect.com and look at under sub components inlet duct ,gas valve, cone & extention then look at part# XXXXX thats your high limit thermostat . take wires off and put together plug ignitor back in and test, see if it glows then. Bryan. p.s. its on top right side of cone. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i have that diagram from the other site.should i have put the wires back on the sensor? or left the jumper in place? i did the test and NO it did not glow
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well if your thermostats are all good take jumper off sensor and plug back in sensor these thermostats should have continuity when threr not hot so if they do i think you may have bad gas coils. those are hard to wire you should call service man to do this.i dont know what else to tell you to check . your definatly missing power somewhere but theres only so much I can help you check . they gget to complicated after these tests. sorry , if you want i can opt out of question and let someone else try? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where is this fuse you were talking about?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
i'm not seeing thermal fuse in your model , the older models just have high limit thermostats which is the one on burner cone. the one i told you to jump and see if ignitor come on. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well it's not like you didn't try,thanks so much for all your help, i have no problem paying you for your time.
thanks again.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
the only other thing to look for on this is a white plastic disc type thermostat on front of blower asm. if you find one it may be your thermal fuse go back to www.pcappliancerepair.com and look at part # XXXXX this is what it looks like but you may not find one in your machine. thanks again bryan. p.s. you might be better off having someone look at this, it is a nice dryer and worth fixing , good luck Bryan