Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Kenmore 90 series Model # XXXXX has stopped ...

My Kenmore 90 series Model # XXXXX has stopped spinning and agiating. Do you know what could be wrong? and where I can get a diagram of the washer. It did pump the water out.
ok you have a bad coupling between motor and transmission it takes the place of the belt. click here www.repairclinic.com and put in part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNand this is whats broken . if you tip machine back you will see between motor and transmission, you can also go to www.pcappliancerepair.com and put your model # XXXXX and get diagrams for your machine . hope this helps, if your happy with reply please press accept . you can still come back and ask more questions, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the point and click web site didn't bring up a diagram for the washing machine. How hard it is to replace this item and do I need a special tool to it. I just looked under the washer and I have no idea on where this coupling is.
well its kinda hard to explain how to do it , try www.searspartsdirect.com and they may have diagrams. I'll check also your model# XXXXX come through can you give me that? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the model # XXXXX XXXXX :)
thanks I'll be back. Bryan
on sears site you should be able to bring up diagram I did, when you get it up go to pump and motor in sub components and on that diagram part # XXXXX is coupling you can see where it is in machine , let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok, if I replace that and it still doesn't work what should I do next?
Use it for target practice? Where in Tennessee are you? I am in north Alabama near Huntsville. If you are not to far myabe I can just get you to come fix it :)
I wish but I know this will fix your problem. to get at coupling the best way to do it is to take cabinet off machine and then it gets easier. how old is this machine ? are there screws on the top of machine holding the control panel on? they will be on each side near very edge , dont try to take back off it doesnt come appart that way, if you have screws take them out and flip control back upward and let it hang back. then you will see a plug unplug it and on each side you will see two gold colored clips take a screwdriver and put it down in clips and pry back they should come out. then tip whole cabinet forward and pull out from under front lip. once you get that let me know, Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm not going to do this tonight. :) I'll probably do it tomorrow. So if there are any other steps I should know about please let me know. The way things go for me I normally end up making a simple fix hard.
well do you have screws on head? Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
there are two screws on the back. The washer is about 10 yrs old

are they going in at an angle? those are them! do what i said just take those screws out. they are phillip head screws right? they look like there imbeded in machine with little tabs kinda over them. makes it hard to get screwdriver in right? let me know. Bryan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
they are not going in on angle. they have a plastic hinged clip behind them
no dont take those out! you may have end caps on each side of head. take a screwdriver and put it in the back at top of caps and pop them up and off then you should see screws . Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok, there was end caps, and the screws were on the bottom front. I was able to lift the control panel up some. boy it was messy around the edge
yeh they always are . it will come up you have to pull forward on bottom a little there are slots it down in. once you get it up you will see gold clips. Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok wow how can something that is supose to clean your clothes be so dirty. I got the front down now what. I guess I am going to get it apart tonight :)
you have the cabinet off? ok you can see the pump in front with a clip on the top and bottom , take a screwdiver and unclip them and pull pump off motor.then you will see two more clips on motor they should have two1/4" screws in them take those out . unplug motor connection and if you have any other wires connected to motor undo them also. ( make sure you unplugged machine first) then take clips off motor and it will come down and out , dont let it fall on your fingers(I have it hurts) and you will see coupling replace and put back together! hope this your happy with help. please press accept and leave feedback its apperiated, and if you need mor help you can still ask for it I'll answer, thanks again Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
one more thing can I take the inside of the tub out to clean the outside tub?
thats a whole other mater you need a spanner wrench for that, if you get one of those you can. maybe they have one at a appliance parts store if you have one close by. just remove adgitator and use spanner wrench to remove inner tub, discusting isnt it! I see that every day. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for you help what if I run into trouble later? How will I get in touch with you. I hope you have a good night. Thanks for teaching me something new.
just come back and ask me whatever you need to , even after accepting we can still go on with questions it will automatically go back to me.please leave feedback after accepting , thanks again Bryan