Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My refrirerator is running but every minute or so it makes ...

My refrirerator is running but every minute or so it makes an arking sound and the lights dim. This a Philco 1967 model. Is there a fix or is she dying?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
probably you have a bad relay asm. since this so old you may have to go with a three and one hard start kit.its hard to find parts for old machine. if you have a local appliance parts dealer they should have 3in 1 relay asm. is the arking noise coming from back of ref.? also check heating and air conditioning supliers,good luck , Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the noise is up front just under the floor of the cooling compartment
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ok that may be where your defrost timer is or it may be a bad wire (be carefull this may be a wire shorting out i would unplug ref. until you find out whats causing arking noise) if your not sure how to locate timer I would call repair man. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: Sorry I have been away from the computer. I had some vegatables in the compartment where the milk is kept and they froze as hard as a rock. Does that have some baring on this situation?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: Sorry I have been away from the computer. I had some vegatables in the compartment where the milk is kept and they froze as hard as a rock. Does that have some baring on this situation? The fan is running but is not cooling.