Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

water was turned off to my kenmore side by side for a ...

Customer Question

water was turned off to my kenmore side by side for a period of time. When I turned the water back on had flow at the dispensor but not the ice maker. Had water at the solenoid valve up to the ice maker feed line but none coming out. There is a red light flashing by the icemaker on off switch in the freezer compartment.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
does this ref. have ice bucket and disenser asm. right in the door? this has an electronic eye to tell when door is full. then shuts icemaker off so it won't overflo. make sure this eye is not obstructed , check tube going into back of icemaker inside ref. isnt frozen also. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: you answered one part about the red flashing light, but evidently didn't read or understand the rest. There is no water in the line from the solenoid valve to the freezer. It appears that the solenoid is not operating to let the water flow from the feed tube. I hand poured some water into the yray hoping to actuate the dump mechanism to no avail. Although the water froze it did'nt dump.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you nees a water valve, click on this link www.repairclinic.com and you can look up water valve and even order it if you want. this will take care of your problem, let me know ,please press accept if your happy with my reply, you can always come back and ask more questions after, also please leave feedback its important, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
WILL CHANGING THE WATER VALVE ACTUATE THE ICE MACHINE ITSELF,.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
i'm sorry i just got in from work. the icemaker isnt turning at all? the icemaker turns and when it gets to a point it puts water in . the water valve doesnt turn icemaker on . can you give me model # XXXXX'll see which icemaker you have , I thought the icemaker was turning but no water was going in I'm sorry , get me the number and I'll tell you what to do next, thanks Bryan.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bryan, tnaxs for your in put. Model # XXXXX XXXXX 106.52564100. Ice maker has not moved since I turned it back on. checked voltage to solenoid have about 4.5 but other info i found says I should have 110 when ice maker actuates. Also found out ice maker has thermostat that activates it when water gets to certain temp, nad then when ice flips out water turns on for 5 - 8 seconds, and that this is what sends the 110 to valve. again thank you
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
thats right. I need to do more reseach on your problem, I'm going to look up info and get back to you. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bryan thanxs bunches, after all said and done will definetly send bonus. At the price of the valve don't want to change what I don't need. Checked the dispenser solenoid also, and that only had 7v going to it and I guess 110v is sent when you depress dispensor on door. So putting these togethor made me wonder where my problem is really at. Again thank you. I'm not in a great rush, just want things right.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
do me a favor, check just inside freezer where icemaker sits, it sits sideways just inside door right? look on right side when you ope freezer door and make suer the switch on side wall for icemaker is in the on position. if it is and the icemaker is still not cycling let me know and I'll tell you how to jump start icemaker for test. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ice maker goes across front of freezer looking at it and dumps forward, yes the sswitch is on
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok here comes the hard part. its not turnig right? you have to remove icemaker and take front cover off and trick the thermostat to start icemaker cycle. go back to www.repairclinic.com and put in part#(NNN) NNN-NNNNthis is whats under cover on your icemaker. strip a piece of jumper wire about 4 inches long and strip each end about 1" and twist tight . your then going to stick one wire into hole marked t and the other in hole marked h they are next to each other in lower right side . be carefull doing this these holes have power and dont get your finger on bare wires. this should trick icemaker and it will start turning keep wire in only untill you hear a faint click then remove wire and it will continue to turn all they way through cycle and should make water come through.put something under tube to catch water. if you think you cant do this then I suggest calling tech. if water comes through then valve is good and icemaker is bad. please be carefull I've got shocked doing this ounce. let me know Bryan, If your uncofortable with this please dont attempt. there is one other way to test valv but wont tell you if icemaker is bad. if you have and old lamp cord and two 1/4" conectors that will fit on valve where the two wires that run icemaker side of valve then you can plug those on and plug it in wall take water line off icemaker side and see if water comes through.do this quick though. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK got it. Already had ice maker out once so no problem there. Have excesive trainig in electronics so no problem there either. Thoght about idea with elec cord already but was going to use that only as a last resort. Have to take care of other stuff so i'll get back with you tomorrow most probably about this same time once again thanks talk to u soon. Al

p.s. Do I have to put the part you talk about in before i try to trick the thermostat?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

no problem anytime just ask . thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bryan Just tried what u suggested. there was no reactiion at all. Nothing happened. Opened up unit found a contact point they looked like they had build up so carefully cleaned them off and retried still with no resultsIce make made no noise at all and never started moving and no water.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok I'm sorry you may have to press in the switches to make it go on this model . try it again but hold in the big switch on the left side , the one you have to push in to remove icemaker let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Held in both switches, One to the left and the light sw. on top. Together and seperatly, still nothing. Will look for answer tomorrow. Realize getting late. Al
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So where do we go from here?