Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

My oven gets very hot and starts to smoke if over 325

Customer Question

My oven get''s very hot and starts to smoke if over 325 degrees. It also starts to smell like has, I cleaned the inside well but it did not help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.

Good evening! Thanks for using! I was just going over your question and I have a few of my own. When you say it gets very hot, do you mean hotter than you have it set for? Also, have you self-cleaned the unit recently? Have you used any cleaners inside the oven, such as Easy Off? Has anything spilled over onto the bottom of the oven or on the elements? If you can, more info would be very helpful. Kelly

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It radiats heat. I don't think I've done the self cleaning option yet... to be honest I don't know how. I did try the easy off. Nothing spilled on the top of the oven but I haven't looked at the bottom. As I can tell it doen't look like anything is on the elements.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
Well, the smoke part of your trouble I believe will go away when the unit is self cleaned. Easy off residue will smoke if not rinsed totally off. I can explain how to do that if you have the model #. As far as the heat part, is it getting too hot, like when set to 350*F, does it get hotter than that or does it just smoke?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Did you get my reply?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
I sure did, any more info on temp problem and model for me? :-)