Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Maytag top loading A9400 washer. The fuse blew.

Customer Question

I have a Maytag top loading A9400 washer. The fuse blew. Replaced it, it filled with water and then blew the fuse again. Can''t get it to agitate or drain. Is it the capacitor?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
you may have a short in machine, it fills with water then tries to go to agiatate and blows fuse right away? or does it start agitating then blow fuse?it could be capacitor is shorted but dont know yet. you may have a bad switch , I'm going to look up model and get back to you . Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: This is the whole story: It completed a load of wash. Then, was dead. Wouldn't fill at all. Replaced the 1 amp fuse, and it filled to what appears to be full, then shut off. Fuse blown again. Replaced it again, moved timer to spin, and can't get it to do anything. I have checked the timer wires, and it looks to me like all 3 wires going to the motor are hot (as they should be). The top door switch also seems to check out ok.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
usually you need to replace whole switch asm. when this happens. click on this link and put in part # XXXXX and tell me if this is your switch asm. thanks Bryan