Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

electrolux refrigerator VCC3 compressor not running

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
can you give me a bit more info. do you hear clicking or buzzing in rear of ref.? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no noise from compressor have 110 volts ac to controler and 9.25 volts dc
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you need to see if your getting 110 to compressor. you may have a bad compressor relay. can you get me full model #? let me know, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
compressor eletronic control unit was replaced    had power to controler but nothing to compressor terminals
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I need full model # XXXXX check diagrams do you have them ? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
electrolux EW26SS65GS ? I know some about appliance but lost when it comes to this electronic
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yeh tell me about it.! ok let me see what I can come up with. thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry but cant get any info on this ref. I'm going to opt out and someone else will pick up question that may be able to help. with no diagrams I dont know where to start on this one sorry, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.
Hello Max, I was reviewing your refrigerator issue a little bit and had a few thoughts. You say the "controller" had 120 VAC to it, is this the main control or the inverter for the compressor? On some units, you can have 120VAC at the inverter but have nothing to the compressor because of the non-present low voltage switching. On most electronic refrigerators utilizing the variable speed DC compressors, they utilize data lines between the boards and are for the most part unable to be isolated for a definite diagnosis as to which board has failed. It has been my experience that the LV boards fail more than the HV boards. However, I have not worked on the new Electrolux line refrigerators yet. So, I guess the question is if you have voltage to the compressor inverter then we can go from there. Thanks Kelly
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hello Kelly, have 9.25 low voltage to inverter when I unplug it. didnot know if compressor is bad or not ? frig is new got it from salvage but no warranty. can not find service tech manual anywhere replaced compressor electonic control unit but did not do any good any way to check compressor. thanks for the help Max
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.

Good morning Max, you should have 120 VAC to inverter and variable DC voltage out to compressor. Voltage from inverter to compressor is generally not measurable as it varies greatly depending on the current status of the thermostats. It sounds as though the voltage TO the inverter is the culprit. Most often that voltage comes directly from the main HV control board, are you able to find and check that? Kelly

Also, all voltage checks need to be performed with all loads connected...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
checked dc voltage to inverter was 3.? dc volts. this problem is a factory defect and is hard to find. any idea on where to get service manual other than electrolux, they will not send any information.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.

You should have 120 VAC to the inverter then the inverter changes it to DC voltage to compressor, so if you don' t have 120 VAC TO inverter, check the maion control. Kelly

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Kelly inverter has 120vac on one plug and 3.?vdc on the other plug with all loads connected.thanks max
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.
I would say that the inverter is at fault. Is that what you replaced already?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes replaced inverter. could it be compressor?   do not know what else could be do not know enough about new compressors. not like old ones just put on 3 in one and let it go.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.
Okay, i just got off the phone with Frigidaire techline. Let's check the compressor first. Check the resistance between all compressor pins, ie 1-2, 1-3, 2-3...between any two pins you should have 9-10 ohms, then let me know what you come up with.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
7.9 ohms on all pins
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.
Okay, is the condenser fan running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes condenser fan is running
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.
Okay, so the fan is running, the compressor is not. We have voltage to the inverter, as it comes from the line voltage and we have about 3 volts to the compressor. It sounds as though the compressor is bad, but hang on and I will verify my answer with techline....
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thanks for all the helpfull information
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.

Frigidaire tech says faulty compressor as well. 2-5 VDC at compressor should be running compessor, provided the condenser fan is running. However, he did say that if the compressor ohms out ok, it probably isn't bad. But given that you replaced the inverter, he speculates that it is. I am trying to come up with a manual for it...It is either a EI26/EW26 or a EI23/EW23. Do oyu know the cubic feet of this unit?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do not know store removed model and seral number but think it is 26 cubic feet. would like to get a manual if possible.thanks Max
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.
Last question, do you have to touch the screen to get it to light up or does it stay lit all the time? (The control on door front)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
high temp flashes for frig and freezer and alarm sounds think it is IQ-Touch model do not have to touch just plug in to power.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.
Okay, your model # XXXXX XXXXX You can go to www.electroluxappliances.com and get the owners manual and accompanying information there. Let me know if you run into any problems getting there. Thanks for the kind words on feedback also, I appreciate that very much (and the bonus :-) Kelly
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i email electrolux they said the people that needed one all ready had one. max
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.
Let me see what I can come up with....Kelly
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.
I have found the manuals for this unit. I will e-mail them to you if you give me your e-mail address. You can just e-mail me at smitty@bresnan.net and then I will return them to you. Kelly