Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE model # XXXXX compactor. I replaced the ...

Customer Question

I have a GE model # XXXXX compactor. I replaced the pin bearing and bearing races because the chain came off and damaged the original bearing. After replacing the parts the compactor will go down and make a growling noise but not compact or reverse. After turning off the ram will return. Can you help ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
its sounds like its not hitting reverse switch. when you take drawer out you should se able to see switch in back. let me see if i can get diagram up, I'll be right back. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: Hi Bryan,
Does that explain why the compactor does not compact. After filling the compactor 1/2 full if you turn it on it will cycle to the garbage but not compact or reverse.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
oh I see now. it sounds like the rams are out of adjustment. sometimes when you replace bearings the screw rods on sides are not aligned correctly . one might be lower than the other and it will bind up as it goes down. check to make sure the two sides are at the same height if you go to you can bring up diagrams. let me know , Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Bryan,
I considered the alignment so I viewed the treaded rods from above and adjusted the until the were identical. I can't find a reverse switch.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
having dinner but I'll be back shortly. I coudnt find reverse switch either but I dont think thats your problem now anyway. talk to you in a few. thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
can you tell me which parts you replaced going by the diagrams on link I gave you? this machine has to be binding up I've seen it before. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Bryan,
I replaced the round pin bearing and the 2 races,Those fit under one of the threaded ram bolts. You will have to pardon my verbage I did not look at the diagram. I think I found the problem, The main drive gear is cracked all of the way through so as the ram attempted to compact it would reach this crack and the gear didn't have enough integrity to compact. I have ordered the part already and it should be here Wednesday. I would like to thank you for your time and I will accept your answer.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
thank you very much, i was going to get to that also but you are obviously very smart and have allot of common sense , that would have been something I would have asked you to check but your to fast for me! thanks again and good luck , Bryan