Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I am trying to change the tube-shaped water filter on ...

Customer Question

I am trying to change the tube-shaped water filter on my Kenmore refrigerator (Sears part 9030)... I easily removed the old filter, but I cannot get the new filter to click in. (It fits fine but will not go in the half centimeter or so more it would to to fully "click.") When I remove the new filter, I notice two blunt red caps way deep inside the tube-like cavity in the refrigerator grill where the filter should connect. Questions: 1) Was I supposed to remove that/those caps prior to insertion? 1b) If so, how can I get them out now, since they are too deep to reach. 2) Or, is there another reason my filter won''t click in? Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Hi, yes the red caps need to be removed before inserting the new filter. As far as removing them now, are you able to maybe bend a metal hanger or equivalent and "fish" them out? Once you get them out, the new filter should pop right in place. Let me know how the fishing was! ;-) Kelly

Be sure to click accept if this helped you out and also leave feedback if you would. I'd appreciate it!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Also, be sure to run about 1-2 gallons of water through that new filter and reset the light if you have one...Kelly
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yeah, I figured that was the problem. Thing is, I pushed so hard to get it to click during my first attempt that this wire hanger thing is not working at all.

Is there any way to dismantle this part to get closer to the red caps?
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Not really, it is pretty much sealed. Can you bend the hanger end at a 90* angle and with a side cutter make a sharp tip that you can get to dig into the inside of the red caps? You can remove the filter housing from the front, but have to shut the water off and be careful when disconnecting the Guest fittings when taking it out. I would try a sharpened hanger first...Kelly
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not working. What a bummer. I realize it was a silly thing to do on my part, but I just followed the step-by-step instructions on the filter box. You think the first step would have started with "remove red caps" -- especially since I've managed to incapacitate my water filter now. How frustrating.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
That filter housing is available and not too difficult to change. You would need to shut off water supply, remove the kickplate and remove two 5/16" screws that secure housing to refrig. Then you remove the water lines and reverse procedure to reinstall. If you can give the model # XXXXX the refrig, I can get you the part # XXXXX that housing. It will start with 106.XXXXXXXXX Kelly