The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

Several months ago our 8-yr-old Frigidaire Gallery

Several months ago our 8-yr-old Frigidaire Gallery refrigerator quit making ice. A change of the filter didn't resolve the problem. I was able to "feed" the icemaker by pouring a cupful of water into it occasionally. Recently the refrigerator has been leaking. Not always, but every few days we find about 1/2 cup of cold water on the floor. We have cut off the water line to the refrigerator, but are still finding water on the floor.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

What is happening is the unit is going into defrost mode and defrosting the evaporator coils and the moisture is running down into the catch well but then it is not going down the little drain tube that goes to the pan under the freezer and above the compressor. What happens when it is draining properly is the heat from the evaporator evaporates the water that collects in the catch pan and this is why you dont see any water on the floor usually

What you need to do is locate the little tube where it comes out uin the back of the unit just above the catchpan over the compressor. Using a piece of stranded electrical wire about a foot and a half long clear the drain tube out by carefully inserting it up the tube..If you hit something solid it may be frozen water and whatever is plugging the hose. Use a hair dryer to heat the hose from underneath. This should allow you to clear the plug and get the unit flowing freely again.

If this answer satisfies your question please click the accept button. I will not be paid if you dont.

You can always ask follow up questions after you accept. I will be here to answer them.

If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me before you accept.

Feedback is how we make sure we provide the best answers available. A simple "good job" is all it takes. Please help us to keep our answers the best available by leaving feedback after your question has been answered.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much!

Your welcome.

Thank you for the accept!