Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have Jann Air Range Model JGR8855ADS the bottom gas jet ...

I have Jann Air Range Model JGR8855ADS the bottom gas jet assembly does not light. The broiler jet lights fine. The bottom ignitor lows red , but I assume the gas valve is not opening. How can I check this further?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
Hello Brian, it is likely that your ignitor is weak and not opening the gas valve rather than the valve being bad. The gas valve is opened by the warping of a bimetal located inside the valve itself. The voltage to the ignitor is drawn through the bimetal and when it warms from the amperage pulled through it, it will open causing ignition. That is also how they "prove pilot", by the amperage the ignitor draws. Even though the ignitor glows red, it doesn't mean it is good. You can easily check the ignitor amperage, but it requires an ampmeter. At the VERY LEAST, you need to see 2.8 amps. However, anything under 3.0 amps indicates a weak ignitor and you should replace it. An ampmeter is available at Lowe's or usually any hardware or automotive store for around $25-100, depending on the model. The ignitor will run around $55 or so, again depending on which one you have. Hope this helps. Please leave feedback if you accept this answer as it helps to rate our help to you. Keep me posted what you find...thanks. Kelly