Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

can a do it yourselfer change out a refrigerator compresser

No Comment Added
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
no not really, the reason is you need allot of special tools to do it. it would cost you more for equipment then to call someone to do it. also you have to be licensed to recover refrigerant. how do you know its bad? it may be something else. can you tell me what its doing? I may be able to help. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i allready had a repairman look at it and said it would be $700 to fix it. i'm going to see if it is still under warrenty as the frig is two to three years old
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
it probably is still under warranty , most ref. sealed systems are warrantied for five years. although the new ones within the last year have been going to 1 year on compressors. did repair man tell you it may still be under warranty? did he change anything on compressor? make sure you have all original parts on compressor before you have them come out to look at it. if repair man put a part on it and it wasn't original part they will try to void your warranty. just wanted to give you a heads up on that . thanks I hope I've help , please press accept if your happy with reply. please leave feedback. thanks again and good luck Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: i had a repairman look at it and said its a $700 fix. i have two older refers downstairs and was wondering if i could do it myself. i will try to see of it is still under warranty as it is two to three years old. thank you douglas
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
well I'm pretty sure it is , call them and they can tell you on the phone whether its under warranty or not, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
did you get my last reply? Bryan