Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my ge DCLR333ET1WW dryer does not turn off automatically ...

Customer Question

my ge DCLR333ET1WW dryer does not turn off automatically when the clothes are dry. what should i check?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
Hi this is Bryan , are you using automatic cycle or timed dry? let me know ,Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
automatic cycle
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
do me a favor try timed cycle and see if it stops by itself, that will tell me whether its timer or thermostat. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok, i have set the timed fluff (no heat) for 20 minutes. i'll write back in a bit. thanks for the help so far.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
no problem, let me know , I have to go clean my pool (joy) and I'll be back in awhile , if it shuts off then you have a bad automatic thermostat, untill you change it you can use timed dry. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
sure enough, the timer works fine. but, it is a no heat mode. so, i guess i need a new thermostat?
what is the part number?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
i have to look it up let me get back to you in awhile. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
any progress on your search?
thanks,
Ken
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
sorry just got home from work, do you have a timed cycle with heat? if you do check and see if it advances in heat timed cycle. if it does I'll get automatic thermostat # XXXXX you , well I just looked at your dryer and dont see automatic thermostat for this model usually a four or sometimes three wire thermo. not showing one . your going to need a meter for this one . we have to test all thermostats and heating elements . let me know if it advances in timed dry and make sure its getting hot. you may have one of your two element strings bad. Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hi Bryan;
I have a timed cycle with no heat. In addition to a regular (high heat) automatic dry and delicates (medium heat) dry. It only advances in the timed no heat mode.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
is dryer heating real hot on high heat or just so so? I think you may have bad heat element like I pointed out before one string of heater may be broke . if you click on this link you can bring up diagrams of dryer. www.pcappliancerepair.com take a look at heat element. let me know, Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the dryer doesn't seem to be any hotter than normal.
once again, the timed mode is a no heat mode. i can take the unit apart and check the heating elements for breaks. is that what I should do?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
I would check heating elements , I think your problem is there. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
sure enough, one of the elements is broken!
i'm ordering the replacement heater assembly now.
any other possible checks i should do while she's opened up?
thanks alot!
Ken
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
hey ken. I would probably replace the little plastic bearing on back of drum while you have it appart, its cheap like 3 bucks they wear out and start to squeek , check front glydes also it wont hurt to fix these things all at once. those are the plastic pieces the drum rides on in front . glad to help , if you didnt leave feedback please do , thanks again Bryan