Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a hotpoint RLA 80 fridge. Its been great, had ...

Customer Question

I have a hotpoint RLA 80 fridge. It''s been great, had it for 5 years I guess, and apart fom having to remove light cos it makes the top shelf too warm, it''s been no trouble. However, it the back chiller plate seems to be freezing up a lot and the shelves are always puddled in water and condensation is dripping frm the upper shelves. The independent thermometer I have in there shows 10 degree on the third shelf . If I turn the temp up, everything freezes ! Is this just cos of hte warm weather ? The back seems cold enough
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
it sounds to me since you had to remove light that you door is not on correctly , maybe missing shim or spacer can you give me full model number # i think your doors to low to hit light switch and possibly gasket is not sealing tightly and thats why your getting condensation in ref. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: i think that might be the case, I've pulled put the fridge today and can't see a plate or anything with any more details on. But it did notice the two back wheels were bent under ( I din't knwo it had any !) which may have an effect on the door. What do you think ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
found model now RLA80p
seriel numberNNN-NN-NNNN
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
very possibly. if ref not sitting square it can make door hang to low. see if you can straighten this problem out and see if it makes a difference, let me know Bryan, you can accept and still ask me questions. feedback is also appreciated. thanks again Bryan. p.s. check to see if light goes off when you close door , put bulb back in and close door almost all the way peeking in to seeif it goes off.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HI Bryan
I've downloaded the user guide for the fridge and the advice is sketchy re the door fitting, and you are right,from the step ladder, the door doesn't even touch the Light switch thing - so it would never have gone off - I always guessed it stayed on hence the warmth and me removing it. seems the door is the big problem. I recokon I need to book an engineer to come and refit the door and seal now.

Thanks fro your advice, very useful and helpful
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your very welcome , hope you get it fixed right . nice talking with you , if you didnt leave feddback yet please do , it helps others to see how we are doing , thanks again Bryan