Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a built in microwave/oven combo, installed in new ...

I have a built in microwave/oven combo, installed in new contruction in 1992. Today, had the convection oven on baking some biscuits, and noticed that the microwave was totally dead. no light, no control pad, nothing. and it was getting really, really hot. cooling fan for the oven unit seemed to still be running (making normal noise, that is). Microwave is Maytag UMC5200 and the oven unit below is Maytag model MEW6530DDS. I checked fuses and all were working. after turning off oven, the microwave came back to working again: control pad receives input, and light is on. it''s still really hot in there, but it''s starting to cool. Thanks for an assitance you can give.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
Good evening, it sounds like you have an airflow issue that has caused an overheat situation and opened a thermal fuse to the microwave. Cooling the unit has allowed the thermal to reset, but you still have an overheat issue. Are you sure the fan you heard was not the convection fan, as you stated you were convection cooking? There is a cooling fan behind the oven between the panels that keeps air flowing continuously to prevent overheat. If there is any grease/dirt buildup around the venting holes at the upper and lower part of oven the airflow will be reduced. Or perhaps the fan has failed and is not running at all. If you set on regular bake, do you still hear fan? Check those things first then we'll have a little more to work with. Kelly