Brandon
Brandon, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  12 years Appliance Experience, Freon Certified, Service Manager over 10 Techs currently.
11220738

We have a GE washer that is less than 5 years old - Model ...

Customer Question

We have a GE washer that is less than 5 years old - Model #WDSR2080D5WW. It doesn't seem to know when to shut off the water. Regardless of the water level setting, it fills to the top and overflows. At one time, it emptied in the middle of the agitation cycle. We believe it's the water valve. Does this seem right?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Brandon replied 8 years ago.

when it emptied did it empty on the floor or drain? If you start to fill the machine and it is filling then you press the timer in does it stop filling?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Brandon's Post: It empties onto the floor, and when button is pressed it stops.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I need to revise my answer a bit - the water does drain when you put it on drain; it just doesn't stop filling up with water until you stop it. When you drain it, it drains properly (but manually).
Expert:  Brandon replied 8 years ago.

ok, there is a water pressure switch and hose.

1. check the water pressure hose to make sure it didn't come off, or has a hole in it.

2. the pressue switch tells the timer to stop! so if the hose doesn't have a hole in it, then it leaves it to the pressure switch or timer. Very rarely is it the timer.

In the diagram i have provided #10 is the switch #811 is the hose and #100 is the timer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't see the diagram - how do I get that?
Expert:  Brandon replied 8 years ago.

graphic

Sorry i forgot to attach it.