Brandon, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  12 years Appliance Experience, Freon Certified, Service Manager over 10 Techs currently.

Maytag belts burning

Customer Question

I have a Maytag washer model sav2655aww that is burning up belts. First time, I replaced the pump and belt. Now a few months later the belt is burned up. The pump is spinning freely and the tensioner seems to be working and the idler pulley spins freely. I put a 7/16 nutdriver through the base to spin the transmission. It turned with one hand fairly freely ( no binding apparent). Any good ideas, Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Brandon replied 8 years ago.
ok, this says maytag but it was built as an "AMANA". first question, are there any signs of leaking? like the pump leaking or if you look up at the bottom of the outer tub right in the middle is there signs of leaking? I have included a picture that i would say is an interest is the BRAKES. #13. graphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Brandon's Post: no signs of leaking
Expert:  Brandon replied 8 years ago.
if you turn this on spin and then lift the lid it is supposed to stop on a dime, if not then the brakes are going out. sounds like your brakes are intermitingly locking up.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will throw on another belt to see if the drum stops. I will get back to you about this asap. Thanks