Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

I have a 9 year old maytag top load wash machine ...

I have a 9 year old maytag top load wash machine modelMAV6000AWW.   It pumps the water out very slowly and will not spin up to speed until all the water is out. The pump was replaced a few months ago, I checked it and it seems fine and there is no blockage. It agitates fine and spins fine once the water is out.....Any suggestions, could it be the belt, it looks ok, but is original on the machine.   Any tips for checking this thing out.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 8 years ago.

Iwould look for something in the outer tub that is getting over the hose going to the inlet of the pump slowing the water down ( a sock , wash cloth, lint ball etc. ) could be the belt - take it off turn it inside out and look for shiny spots and cracks . If you replace belt - replace them as a pair

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This machine has only 1 belt that drives the pump and agitator......Is it easy to get to the outer pump
Yeah you're right about one belt ( most older Maytags had two ) Well that rules out the belt since it agitates and spins OK Remove the HOSE that goes to bottom of outer tub and use a bent coat hanger to fish around and drag stuff over to the hole - lot easier than trying to remove the agitator and inner basket. You could also let it fill a little bit while doing doing this to try and flush stuff over to the hole but it'll make a mess.