Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
8697087

My Freezer temp is remaining at 5-7 degrees in spite of ...

Customer Question

My Freezer temp is remaining at 5-7 degrees in spite of efforts to lower it. Can you suggest Something. The unit is a 3 door and is only 2 years old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

How did you check the the temperature?

Where did you check it in the freezer?

The temperature in the freezer is generally considered correct at 0 degrees F. However, a five degrees in one area of the freezer would not necessarily indicate a problem. Try checking the freezer at the very bottom or in an opposite side than you have been.

Bernie

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My unit has a Temp. Display and that is what I use
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

These temp. displays are not always that accurate. If you want to a more accurate reading I would recommend a digital thermometer to see if the unit's display is reading incorrectly.

If you find that the display is inaccurate, you may be able to have this adjusted.

Has the refrigerator always done this?

Or Is this a new development?

Are you having any other problem with the refrigerator?

bernie

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, the frig has not always done this and I'm sure the display is accurate.

HiCustomer

Thank you for your patience. If you would please give us more information we will be able to better determine what problem there is.

Is there any ice and/or frost on the inside back wall (or any wall) of the freezer?

Can you hear the compressor (behind the refrigerator) running? It's a small "melon size" motor. There should also be a fan back there running. Do you hear it?

Please check that the door switch light goes off when you close the drawer. It should go off approx. 1/2" before the door closes. Does it go off?

Open the drawer and push the light switch off. Do you hear the fan come on inside the freezer?

Please post the model number which is on the wall of the fresh food compartment.

Let me know what you find and we will be able to assess this better.

bernie

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me .I have checked all that you suggested . There is nO ice or frost on back wall. Yeas, I hear a motor, is that the compressor? Yes, the light goes out. I'm not sure if fan comes on as motor is running & I can't tell if that is motor or fan. Model# XXXXX

HiCustomer

Thank you for getting the information.

The temperature sensor would be the first item that we would replace on this. The other items that could cause this problem would be much more costly and because you haven't indicated that there are any other symtoms this is the most likely cause.

This is the sensor -

PS304103: SENSOR TEMP

It is part 241 on the diagram below. There are two places you will see the 241 on the diagram. It's actually behind the back freezer wall on the condenser coil assembly. You'll see it in the inserted diagram that is inside the dotted lines.

Let me know if you need any more information.

bernie

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you . You have been very patient and I appreciate it. I have have accepted your answer.

HiCustomer

Thank you.

Let me know how you make out and if I can provide any more information.

bernie