Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances

My GE refridgerator model TBXK18KJB had the compressor ...

My GE refridgerator model TBXK18KJB had the compressor changed just past five year mark. I was told the compressor lines plug up and it was a factory defect. Well now the replacement compressor has been in for more than five years and its doing the same thing. The compressor runs all the time. The freezer makes ice cubes but wont make ice cream hard. The fridge part is cold but probably only 45 degrees. I called around and was told the compressor is not available any more. I guess its time to get a new fridge unless someone has an answer to how to fix the problem. Thanks in advance.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

If you can remove the back wall of the freezer and examine it, the this will tell something about what is going on.

Heavy icing in one area?

Some icing spread out over the area?

Please let me know what you find. I'll check this post later today again.

Also, can you feel the defrost heater on (around the edges of the freezer where the door meets the cabinet)?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I took your advice and opened the back of the freezer and found that the coil was iced over completely with ice and frost/snow. Im in the process of melting it with a small heater. I ran out and bought a defroster timer and will replace that once everything is melted away. The parts man said that the heating element rarely goes bad, that usually its the timer switch. Once its back together or before is there anything I should look for or check? Then after its runnig how do I confirm that Ive solved the problem and risk laoding the freezer with perishables?

Thanks again for your response,

After you have completely defrosted the machine manually (approx. 24 hrs) , you would plug it back in.

If the unit works correct for the next 48 hours then the problem was the defrost system.

At that point, we would definitely replace the defrost timer.