The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I currently have a 24 electric wall oven. I think my ...

Customer Question

I currently have a 24" electric wall oven. I think my cabinet will hold a 27" as a replacement, depending on how much clearance is needed between the oven and the cabinet. How can I find out if my cabinet will hold a 27" oven?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

Hi Mary2730;

If your unit is presently a 24" then the cabinet will need to have the hole widened to accomodate the 27" model. This means that you will need an additional 1 1/2" of cabinet that you can trim off of each side of the hole. As long as there is that much wood left before you run into the piece on the side then you can do this.

You will also want to check if the unit needs any additinal clearences per the manufacturers requirements. Some do require that there be additional clearence along the sides of the unit.

If this answer satisfies your question please click the accept button. I will not be paid if you dont.

You can always ask follow up questions after you accept. I will be here to answer them.

If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: I know that I can trim the cabinet, that part is obvious. What I'm trying to figure out is what kinds of clearances (if any) are required for different models.

I live in a small town and no dealers carry wall ovens, they just direct me to various manufacturers web-sites to pick out something that can be ordered. But I don't know if I have to order a 24" or if I can go to a 27".

I've read 5 or 6 different sets of installation instructions on web-sites, but none provide any specific information on clearances.

Mary;

If you could tell me the model number and make of the unit you are interested in installing I can see if I can locate the information you need.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I'm having such a hard time explaining what I need..... I don't know what item I want yet, I'm trying to pick one out. My choice will depend on what clearances are needed. I went ahead and accepted your answer, but it looks like I will have to wait until Monday and call all the various manufacturers.

Thank you for the accept.

Let me ask you this.

Do you know how much room there is on either side of the cabinet that you can remove? If you have a minimum of 4" on either side this should be enough clearance for most all of todays new units.

On average you only need about 2-3 inches of air circulation around the units insulating layer. The insulating layer is right below the hole size required to install the unit.

I hope this helps. If you need further information please do not hesitate to post it here.

If you find a model that catches your eye just post the make and model number and Ill check it out for you.

Personally I recommend staying away from the fancy digital models. Circuit boards and heat were never ment to be together. This is very evident by all the failure and trouble code questions we get here about them.

Best regards; The Home Smithy