Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a GE Dishwasher Model GSD500D-03AW. I started it and ...

Customer Question

I have a GE Dishwasher Model GSD500D-03AW. I started it and soap suds started coming out the bottom of the front door. I stopped it and looked inside to discover a standing pool of water and it does not drain. A couple of days earlier it ran fine as a checkout (it has not been used in over a year) so I advanced the cycles over to dry. Did I screw something up? If not, where is the drain? Back left? Called a sump?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
Well, a couple things to look for right off. If unit drains into an air gap at the top of the sink, RH side, pull the cap off and see if it is clogged. Secondly, if the unit drains into a garbage disposal, has it been changed recently and if so, was the plug knocked out? Next would be to see if the piston and nut assembly in the rear of the unit is in bad shape. It is located at the rear of the inside of the tub under the screen at the very back bottom. Remove the four 1/4" screws and pull the filter out. The piston assembly is dead center and just unscrews counter-clockwise. At the top of the piston is a yellow colored seal that should be intact and in good shape. If it is worn or missing it needs to be replaced. Lastly, the drain solenoid could be at fault. It is located under the tub behind the front panles (lower) and is on the front LH side of the motor pump assembly. When energized, the solenoid pulls the arm down to activate the diverter in the pump housing. Hope this helps. Please be sure to accept my answer if you get it figured out with my help...thanks! Kelly
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So,advancing the cycles, didn't screw it up?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.

No, it didn't hurt anything. Did you hear the motor come on at all or did it just hum? Sometimes when GE dishwashers sit for an extended period, the seals dry out and stick. The old motors could be turned by hand to free them up but the newer ones have no access...

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to T's Post: I believe the motor is fine. I installed a new disposer and forgot the knockout plug. I took care of that but still have soap suds on the floor. I assume the line to the disposer is not the only drain? Is there a main drain. If so, where?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
The line to the disposer is the only drain. It runs right from the pump to the disposer. It sounds like you may be suds locked (quite common). Pour about 1 cup vegetable oil in machine and let it run for a few minutes and see if it will drain then. 1/2 cup veg oil monthly on a regular cycle (no dishes) is also very good maintenance and will keep the seals in great shape for a long time, FYI! :-) Kelly
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks Kelly. This helps. I'll go and work on it.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
I hope it works out well for you...keep me posted! Kelly